Well, my intentions of posting every day this week did not become reality. Blogging time just gets away from me! But I did want to take a moment to write about Charlotte’s love of music. She’s loved music from early on, and it cracked us up the first time she “danced” to a song. She likes to bob up and down and also move her hips side to side, and it is pretty much the cutest thing ever. It’s so interesting to me that dancing in that regard is instinctive because we didn’t teach her that; her body just heard the music and responded. She’s had a her share of songs she’s liked, so here are her top favorites, some current, some from her younger day (as if she’s so old now!)
1. “Bringing Home a Baby Bumblebee.” I think this is her current favorite. We have a DVD of kids’ songs, and she just grins hugely when this one comes on, and she will do her signature dance moves. She also is learning the motions because she is a genius.
2. “The Ants Go Marching.” She used to REALLY love this one, and it was the one way we could get her to smile for a picture when she otherwise wouldn’t. It was also great for distracting her while we changed her diaper.
3. “Hush Little Baby.” This was the first song we noticed Charlotte respond to. I used to sing it to her, and if she was fussing sometime she actually would go silent and listen to me. It also helped her go to sleep. I still sing it to her sometimes if she’s upset.
4. “Scrub-a-dub dub.” What’s that? You don’t know this song? Well, that’s because I made it up. I frequently make up little songs for Charlotte, and this is one that stuck. I sing it to her every time I give her a bath, and she’ll grin and sometimes clap when I sing it (because my voice is amazing). The lyrics are deep, so prepare yourselves:
Scrub-a-dub dub, Charlotte’s in the tub,
Getting herself all clean.
So we scrub and we scrub in the tubby tub tub,
‘Til she’s finally squeaky clean.
I’m expecting a Grammy any day now. 🙂
5. “The Numbers 6 Song.” This is also an Erin original, and it’s based on the blessing found in Numbers 6:24-26: “The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace” Isn’t that beautiful? I often sing this to Charlotte as I put her to bed at night. I like to think it helps calm her.
What are your favorite children’s songs?