Charlotte’s First Surgery

I am pleased to report that Charlotte’s ear tube surgery went really well! We had to be at the surgery center Tuesday morning at 7:30.  Charlotte could not have anything to eat after midnight, and I was dreading having to face the morning with Charlotte hungry and not eating. I had hoped that Charlotte would sleep well and that we could just wake her up a little before 7, change her diaper and her clothes and be on our way, but no such luck. She woke up around 5:45 (about 5 minutes after we ourselves had woken up) and showed no signs of going back to sleep, so we got her up. She wasn’t cranky at all and contented herself with playing with her toys.

My mom arrived around 7, and we were out the door by 7:10. Once we arrived at the surgery center, Stephen and I were taken back to the pre-op area with Charlotte. They gave her a gown to wear and a cute little monkey that Charlotte immediately started playing with. We were able to stay back there with her until it was time for her to be taken for surgery. She did really well for not having eaten and for having woken up so early. She started getting fussy toward the end of our wait time, but that was mainly because she was sleepy. Her surgery was scheduled for 8:30, and the anesthesia staff came and got her right before then. We watched them take her away as we headed back to the waiting room, and I was surprised to find tears in my eyes. It was just so strange to see her taken away like that, and I wanted to go with her.

I recovered quickly, however, and we weren’t in the waiting room long before we were led to a private room to talk to the doctor. He said everything went really well and that she was waking up from the anesthesia and that we would be able to see her after 10 or 15 minutes. So back to the waiting room we went for a little bit longer before going back to the area where we had waited with Charlotte before the surgery.  It wasn’t long before they brought her to us, and I was so happy to hold her! I was anxious to see what kind of mood she would be in because several of my friends talked about how cranky and even angry their children were after the surgery, but Charlotte wasn’t like that at all. She was drinking a little bottle of apple juice they had given her and was quite calm. The nurses even said they wanted to keep her and asked us if she was always this content. (If only they could have seen her the first 3 months of her life when she never slept and fussed the majority of the time!) We snuggled with her and fed her a bottle, which she happily downed, and after waiting about 45 minutes, we were free to go!

We got home a little after 10 a.m. and put Charlotte right in her crib, where she slept for a little over an hour. She had a few fussy periods during the day, mostly due to some mild discomfort with her ears and sleepiness, but overall we had a really great day. She took another nap in the afternoon, and though she woke up from that nap acting really upset, she was fine once she ate. I am so thankful that everything went smoothly and that Charlotte even got to have some fun today. God has been good to us!

2 thoughts on “Charlotte’s First Surgery

Tell me your thoughts! I'd love to read them.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s