Things I’ve Learned About Charlotte:
1. She’s NOT a fan of having her diaper changed or getting her clothes changed. She starts screaming, and then the minute the diaper is in place or the last button is buttoned, she stops.
2. She has a myriad of amusing facial expressions, one of which is reminiscent of the “Blue Steel” look from Zoolander. We hope to capture this on video at some point.
3. She has a very strong sucking reflex but has trouble opening her mouth up wide, which causes problems in the breastfeeding area.
4. She does NOT like having the hiccups. They shake her whole tiny body and make her rather upset.
5. She likes being in her bouncy seat and riding in the stroller, but she’s only sometimes a fan of sleeping in her crib or cradle.
6. She loves to be held and cuddled.
7. When she is hungry, she must eat RIGHT. THEN.
Things I’ve Learned About Motherhood:
1. It’s hard. Really, really hard.
2. Breastfeeding is really, really hard. No one ever talks about this, and even though I knew it would probably be a challenge, I had no idea how much of a challenge it would actually be. I have cried during feedings, prayed during feedings, been relieved when feedings are over. It has tested me like nothing else has. I still don’t know if I will be able to continue doing it, but I am trying to be patient and persevere in the hopes that it will get better, as many have told me it will.
3. Being a mom has strengthened my prayer life tremendously. Never have I felt so completely my need for a Savior as I do now, and I pray for wisdom and strength and courage and patience many, many times a day.
4. Though motherhood is really, really hard, I wouldn’t trade it for the world. How can I, when I have this sweet little face to look at?