Well, friends, the good news is, I found out at today’s appointment that I am now 3 cm dilated and 70% effaced! For those who have little to no clue what in the world that means, to be fully dilated I need to be at 10 cm, and effacing simply refers to the thinning out of my cervix, which has to take place in order for my body to be ready for labor. The doctor was pleased with my progress, as was I. Does this mean I could go into labor anytime soon? There’s really no telling, unfortunately!
For right now, the doctor has scheduled me to come back in next Tuesday at 41 weeks, at which point they will do a non-stress test (measuring Charlotte’s heartbeat as they test her response to contractions) and then do an ultrasound to make sure everything is still looking good. THEN, if nothing has happened by next Friday, I will go back in to the doctor, and we’ll schedule the induction. I am praying, praying, praying that Charlotte comes before then! It is so hard not to be anxious and worried about the timing of everything, especially because my mom had to request time off way in advance because she’s a nurse, but I am trusting God’s provision and sovereignty and trying not to worry (emphasis on the “trying” part). Ultimately, no matter how or when she comes, what matters most is that she is born healthy and safe. I just can’t believe that soon I will actually get to hold her in my arms! I just can’t wait!