I consider myself to be a fairly decent speller, but there are certain words that always trip me up. These words are ones I have to stop and think about (and sometimes Google) before I write/type them. None of them are terribly difficult, but as I was making this list I realized I have issues with words with double consonants.
1. Occasion. I always want to spell this as “occassion.”
2. Vacuum. This word doesn’t have a double consonant but double vowel, and yet I always want to stick an extra “c” in the word.
3. Recommend. The way I remember this one is to break it down: “re” and “commend.”
4. Committed/committee. Whereas with the other words I want to add a consonant, with these I want to take a consonant away.
5. Rhythm. I know this doesn’t fit in the double consonant category, either, but there are no vowels!
Do you have trouble with any of these words? What words do you always have to check for correct spelling?