I realize this blog has been kind of a downer lately, so I thought I’d list some things that make me happy.
1. Being able to see Stephen every day. Longtime readers of the blog will remember that we had a long distance relationship the whole time we were dating and engaged, so I cherish all the time we have together even now. (I am sure longtime readers also probably remember my posts about Stephen as being nauseatingly cheesy.)
2. Watching episodes of Gilmore Girls. Yes, I’ve seen every episode at least three times, but I still find such pleasure in watching this show. It’s just unfortunate that the last season did not do the show justice at all.
3. Sunshine. I love how the sun creates both shadows and rainbows.
4. Rain. I love rainy days and clouds and cool breezes.
5. The smell of freshly cut grass.
6. Hugs, especially the all-encompassing, soul-warming kind.
7. Getting phone calls or emails from dear friends, or better yet, having a face-to-face gabfest.
8. Rereading a favorite book. I know some people don’t read books more than once, but I find it so comforting and refreshing, and I often discover things I didn’t notice the first time through.
9. Daisies. They really are the “happiest flower,” to quote Meg Ryan in You’ve Got Mail.
10. Lying in a hammock. I haven’t done this in SUCH a long time. When Stephen and I buy a house, I will find a way to have a hammock!
11. Reading a good poem for the first time. Poetry is like chocolate for the soul.
12. The smell of books. I’m not saying I want this smell bottled and sold like a perfume, but honestly, books just smell intoxicatingly good to me.
13. Finishing a hard run. I ran 5.2 miles on Saturday, my longest run yet, and I felt AMAZING afterward. And also ridiculously hot and sweaty.
14. Realizing that slowly but surely, I am starting to appreciate my body. I don’t know that I love it yet, but I definitely appreciate it all it does for me.
15. Buying clothes in the misses section. As shallow as this may seem, I still get so excited about all of the options there are when I don’t have to shop in the women’s section.
16. Laughing. Laughter warms me deepdeep down to my core, and I try to laugh every day.
17. Rereading all the emails Stephen and I exchanged during our long distance relationship. We wrote A LOT (I can’t help but call attention once again to the fact that “a lot” is in fact two words. Ahem.) I have thought about printing out the emails, but it would be an absurd amount of paper (like hundreds of pages).
18. Walking. Whether I’m walking briskly, looking like a doofus because of my fast-swinging arms, or just leisurely strolling, walking is one of the most enjoyable forms of exercise for me. And it’s so low maintenance! Just put on some shoes (and clothes, of course), and you’re ready to go! Even klutzes can walk!
19. A fire, hot chocolate, and a good book on a cold day. I can’t wait for fall and winter.
20. Reading the Bible and connecting and responding to what I read.
I think I’ll stop there. One thing I noticed is that food is nowhere on this list. That should tell me something, huh?
What makes you happy?
(And in case you’re wondering, I did in fact write this post at 2 in the morning. I have had a horrible time falling asleep the past few days. So frustrating!)