I have to say, this season’s contestants are “just aight” for me (in the words of Randy Jackson). I am not terribly excited about any of them at this point, but there’s hopefully room for growth and added potential as the weeks continue. The judges made some poor choices during Wild Card week, in my opinion, and Tuesday’s performances made me all the more sad that Jamar didn’t even make the final cut. He would have been awesome doing a Michael Jackson song, no doubt.
All that being said, my favorites for the evening (not really in a particular order):
1. Megan: Her song choice (“Rockin’ Robin”) was horrible, but she sang it really well, and there’s something very charming and unique about her.
2. Allison: I think in a few places, her version of “Give In to Me” was hard to understand, but overall I thought she was great. It’s hard to believe she’s 16. She’s the rocker chick of this season, and I hope she sticks around for a while.
3. Lil: Even though some would say her choice of “The Way You Make Me Feel” was safe, I thought she did a great job, and her vocal skills are far and above most others in the competition.
4. Anoop: Even though the judges didn’t like his cover of “Beat It,” I thought it was fun and catchy. I’m having a hard time figuring out what kind of artist he is, though, and I’m not sure the judges’ feedback tonight will do him any favors.
5. Danny: His version of “PYT” was a little screamy, but he’s really talented and made the song fun, and I think he’ll be around for a while.
Here are the ones I thought were mediocre:
1. Scott: The guy has passion and heart, but ultimately I’m just not impressed with his vocals. I had never heard “Keep the Faith” before, but it’s all kinds of cheesy.
2. Kris: Kris’s mannerisms during “Remember the Time” reminded me so much of Jason Mraz. He’s cute and talented, but I don’t think he’s going to go very far in the competition.
3. Jorge: I really like Jorge and think he adds a nice dimension to the show, but his version of “Never Gonna Say Goodbye” was cheesy and not at all pitch-perfect. He can definitely do better. Let’s hope he sticks around long enough to prove it.
4. Alexis: I could almost put her in the first group, but I almost think she tries too hard and ends up oversinging. She’ll be around for a long time, though.
The ones I didn’t love:
1. Jasmine: In my opinion, she should not have made the top 13; I think she got through on her looks. “I’ll Be There” was a good song choice for her, but there’s a nasal quality to her voice that I could do without.
2. Adam Lambert: I won’t deny that the boy can sing, but he’s so theatrical and over the top that it detracts from his obvious vocal prowess.
3. Matt: The song ended pretty abruptly, and I didn’t like his voice tonight as much as I used to.
4. Michael: He sang “You Are Not Alone” better than I thought he would, but it was B-O-R-I-N-G.
My predictions for tonight’s elimination (but honestly, I have no clue how it will play out):
Bottom 3: Jorge, Jasmine, and Michael.
Going home: Michael and Jasmine