Sometimes I really wish Knoxville and Memphis weren’t 6 hours apart. I get really sleepy on the drive back, and there is nothing more difficult than trying to stay awake while driving when all you want to do is close your eyes. Fortunately, after I stopped in Nashville to have dinner with my friend Sarah, I woke up. We ate at Panera Bread, and when Sarah blessed our meal, she prayed that I would be able to enjoy time with God on the rest of my trip back. That really struck me because I haven’t often viewed my time in the car in that light. So after I got back on the road, I began to think of how to use my remaining time. What followed were the most enjoyable three hours I’ve had in the car. I did some praying out loud, some thinking, some sermon listening, and some singing. Tonight was a great reminder of how each minute of each day is a gift, and I have a responsibility to use the time I’ve been given wisely.
Here are some of the albums I listened to that got me praising God:
1. You Are So Good to Me by Waterdeep: Waterdeep is a fabulous band whose lyrics are almost always taken straight from Scripture. Song to download: “Big Enough to Hold Me.” Sample lyric: “The space in my mind is too small for You. The space in my heart is too small for You too.”
2. Psalms by Shane Bernard and Shane Everett: Also taken straight from Scripture, the songs on this album never fail to bless and encourage me. Song to download: “Psalm 145.” (If you don’t want to download the song, look up Psalm 145. It’s one of my favorites.)
3. Sacred Revolution by the Passion Worship Band: All of the Passion CDs are excellent, in my opinion, but I love this one. Song to download: “Knees to the Earth.” Sample lyric: “Beautiful Jesus, my heart belongs to Thee. I will remember always the blood You shed for me.”
4. Back Home by Caedmon’s Call: The songs “You Created,” “Awake My Soul,” and “Mystery of Mercy” are worth the price of the CD. Sample lyric: “You created nothing that gives me more pleasure than You. You won’t give me something that gives me more pleasure than You.” Powerful stuff!
5. Imagination by Bethany Dillon: I love, love, love Bethany! Song to download: “My Love Hasn’t Grown Cold.” I promise, you won’t be disappointed. Sample lyric: “If only you could see how heaven stills when you speak. I know your days, and I have wrapped you in mystery.”
6. Enter the Worship Circle by 100 Portraits and Waterdeep: This album is really organic and raw, and the songs are also very scriptural. Song to download: “Since I Am So Sick.” Sample lyric: “Surely those who wait on You will never be ashamed. All of those who call on You will know the faithfulness of Your name.”
In completely unrelated news, I joined the Columbia House movie club, and my 7 movies for $12.89 were waiting for me when I got home (6 were free, 1 was $9.99, plus shipping and handling). Here’s what I got:
1. Butterfly Effect
2. Groundhog Day
3. Shawshank Redemption (I’m SO excited to own this one!)
4. Rear Window
5. Vertigo (my all-time favorite Hitchcock flick)
7. Batman Begins
Do I have good taste or what? 🙂